Hummus has become increasingly popular in recent years which comes as no big surprise. Hummus is delicious and as part of a Mediterranean diet–which we all know by now– is an extremely healthy diet to follow. Of particular interest is the role folate plays in providing healthy cell division,  and supports our wellness as an excellent source of dietary fiber.
You can never get bored with hummus because there are a myriad of ways to flavor it and this is one of our favorite hummus recipes –using Young Living’s clove, cinnamon bark, ginger and nutmeg essential oils!
If you are trying to find healthier ways to continue to eat your (not so healthy) foods, hummus can be your delicious best friend.
Instead of cream cheese on a bagel, try hummus — it’s even delicious with lox!
Food Republic  suggests replacing the mayonnaise in chicken salad and deviled eggs with hummus for a healthy twist. Hummus is a perfect substitute for mayonnaise on sandwiches and in egg salad!
Or, you could just use hummus as a replacement for sandwich spreads. Just take a hint from Two Peas & Their Pod  and mix hummus and avocado with roasted red pepper for a healthy and seriously tasty lunch.
Recipe for Pumpkin Hummus with Essential Oils
You will need:
- 15oz. can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup Sesame Tahini
- 2 TBSP Almond Oil
- 1 drop Young Living Cinnamon Bark essential oil*
- toothpick dipped in Young Living Ginger essential oil*
- toothpick dipped in Young Living Nutmeg essential oil*
- toothpick dipped in Young Living Clove essential oil*
- salt to taste
Blend the chickpeas, pumpkin, tahini, almond oil and Cinnamon Bark essential oil in a food processor until smooth.
Transfer the mixture into a small bowl, and swirl the toothpicks (which were dipped in the Ginger, Nutmeg and Clove essential oils) thoroughly through the hummus mixture.
Add salt to taste and stir well.
Serve with raw vegetables, pita wedges or crackers.
If you don’t already have Young Living essential oils consider becoming a member with one of The Lavender Guide distributors…
*Not all essential oils are edible and not all brands of essential oils can be ingested. The recipes found here are only recommended for use with Young Living Essential Oils.
1. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition – a closer look at folate.
2. New York Times – Health and a Mediterranean Diet
3. College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences – Dietary Fiber Alters Gut Bacteria, Supports Gastrointestinal Health
4. Food Republic – There Is Hummus Among Us
5. Two Peas & Their Pod – Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Avocado, & Feta Sandwich